University Health System has officially broke ground on the second phase of its Capital Improvement Program. The Women’s & Children’s Hospital at University Hospital, San Antonio, is expected to open in late 2022. The $500 million project is funded with no tax rate increase, and includes: a new 12-story, 300-bed hospital for women, babies and children; a new 900-space parking structure; and additional shell space for future growth.
Officials say it will be the only hospital in South Texas exclusively focused on the needs of women and children. The Women’s & Children’s Hospital at University Hospital is an academic medical center, in partnership with UT Health San Antonio. It is a Level IV maternity center prepared for high-risk deliveries and complications that can occur with any pregnancy.
The new hospital will feature amenities for moms and babies including:
• a dedicated OB/GYN Emergency Department and operating suites;
• large, private labor and delivery suites;
• the highest level NICU connected to the Labor & Delivery Unit;
• spacious, private inpatient rooms;
• space for a family member to stay in the room overnight; and
• a mom’s sleeping suite for mothers who return to the NICU to breastfeed babies.
The new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit will include:
• single-family rooms arranged in pods to optimize quality, comfort and efficiency;
• space for family members to stay overnight and a warm welcoming environment to promote healing and bonding;
• advanced treatments and diagnostic tools; and
• family center with lounge and educational resources.